Please type in all digits from bar code number on your Dorchester library card for access outside the library.
A | B | C | D | E | F |
G | H | I | J | K | L | M |
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
(Click on the letter for quick access. Click here to browse by subject)
- Adult Learning Center
- Whether you are going back to school, switching jobs, or just want to brush up on an academic skill, our adult learning center is here to help. Our live coaches will help you write a winning resume, learn Microsoft Office, pass the GED, and more
- AncestryPlus (ProQuest)
- Over 1.2 billion records in over 3,000 databases. A source for conducting genealogical and local history research. Included are digitized images of the U.S. Federal Census from 1790 on, The American Geneaological Biographical Index, Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, and more. * in library use only
- Premier business and residential database. Detailed data on the business database includes: Industry Specifics, Employee Size, Sales Volume, Executives Titles, Email Addresses, and more. Detailed data on the residential database includes: Name, Phone Numbers, Address, Household Income, Home Market Value, and more. The download limit is 1000 records per search with no overall limit.
- Auto Repair Reference Center (EBSCO)
- The Auto Repair Reference Center is a full text database containing information on Repair procedures, service bulletins, service recalls, wiring diagrams, labor and quick tips for automobiles. Not all types of automobiles are represented in the database and not all information is available for those automobiles that are represented in the database.
- Biography Reference Center (EBSCO)
- Search or browse through more than 450,000 full-text biographies in over thirty categories, including actors, authors, explorers, historical figures, inventors, musicians, presidents of the United S5~tates, scientists and many others.
- Black Women in America
- Winner of the Dartmouth Medal for Outstanding Reference Publication of 1994, the first edition of Black Women in America broke new ground — pulling together for the first time all of the research in this vast but underrepresented field to provide one of the strongest building blocks of Black Women's Studies. Since the first edition was published, a new generation of American black women has flourished, demanding this landmark reference be brought up to date. Women such as Venus and Serena Williams, Condoleezza Rice, Carol Moseley Braun, Ruth Simmons, and Ann Fudge have become household names for their remarkable contributions to sports, politics, academia, and business. In nearly 600 entries, Black Women in America celebrates the remarkable achievements of black women throughout history, highlights their ongoing contributions in America today, and represents the new research the first edition helped to generate.
- Scholastic BookFlix pairs classic video storybooks from Weston Woods with related nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to build a love of reading and learning. By linking fact and fiction, BookFlix reinforces early reading skills and introduces children to a world of knowledge and exploration.
- Business Source Premier (EBSCO)
- Business Source Premier is the industry's most popular business research database, featuring the full text for more than 2,200 journals. Full text is provided back to 1965, and searchable cited references back to 1998.
- Dictionary of American Family Names
- A dictionary like no other, the Dictionary of American Family Names documents 70,314 surnames giving their meaning, nationality, alternate spellings, common forenames associated with them, and the frequency of each surname and forename. For students studying family genealogy, or others interested in finding out more about their own lineage, the Dictionary is an ideal place to begin research.
- Encyclopedia of Global Change
- Encompassing tsunamis, elephant conservation, ocean pollution, mining regulation, and permafrost melt, the 300 authoritative articles in this unique and wide-ranging encyclopedia investigate all types of phenomena that change life on Earth.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia provides over 25,000 encyclopedic entries. Searchable by subject or keywords within the entry. This source provides full text for all articles.
- Gale Courses
- Gale Courses deliver hundreds of engaging, instructor-led online courses focused on professional development, technology skills, and personal enrichment to transform lives and foster positive changes in your community.
- Genealogy Connect (Gale)
- Instead of spending hours scanning books for mentions of a family name, users can turn to Genealogy Connect for a one-stop search across multiple volumes, identifying connections and enriching family history.
- Heritage Quest (ProQuest)
- Research tools for tracing family history and American culture, for beginning and professional genealogists. Includes original page images for all documents.
- HelpNow by BrainFuse is a comprehensive suite of tutoring services designed for a range of academic needs; whether it’s tackling a tough homework problem, learning an academic skill, or writing a term paper. Adults can also receive live online help from our trained adult education specialists in areas such as US Citizenship testing, resume and cover letter writing assistance and core subject education. Spanish-speaking tutors are offered coextensively (same subjects and hours of availability) with our English-speaking tutors. Live tutors are available seven days a week between the hours of 2:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m., EST.
- History Reference Center (EBSCO)
- History Reference Center is the world's most extensive full-text history reference database, featuring full text for more than 1,620 reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books from leading history publishers.
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center
- This database offers detailed how-to instructions and creative ideas to meet the interests of virtually every hobby enthusiast. Full text is provided from leading hobby and craft magazines, including Bead & Button, Creative Knitting, FineScale Modeler, Quilter's World and many more.
- Home Improvement Reference Center
- This database provides users with detailed, user-friendly how-to information covering all manner of home improvement/repair projects. It features full-text content from leading home improvement magazines, images not found anywhere else online, and videos of popular home repair projects.
- Literary Reference Center (EBSCO)
- Access a comprehensive collection of author biographies, plot summaries, and book reviews, plus short stories, author interviews, and much more.
- MasterFILE Premier (EBSCO)
- MasterFILE Premier contains full text for nearly 1,700 periodicals covering general reference, business, health, education, general science, multicultural issues and much more. This database also contains full text more than 500 reference books, over 107,000 primary source documents, and an Image Collection of over 510,000 photos, maps & flags.
- MAS Ultra
- Designed specifically for high school libraries, MAS Ultra School Edition contains full text for hundreds of popular high school magazines covering a wide-range of subject areas including history, science, careers and much more.
- MUZZY BBC
- The world’s #1 multimedia, multilingual, multi-platform, and multi-awarded language learning course for children. Children learn another language naturally at their own pace by watching an engaging video story and playing games.
- Newsbank Local Newspapers of Delmarva
- Search full-text current and archived local and state articles on issues, events, people, government and more including the Bay Times (8/2/06-Current), The Capital (1/1/02-Current), Dorchester Star (6/30/06-Current), Kent County News (11/30/06-Current), Record Observer (8/4/06-Current) , Star Democrat (11/16/05-Current), Sunday Star (11/13/05-Current), and the Times Record (8/2/06-Current).
- NoveList Plus
- Looking for a good book? NoveList Plus has reading recommendations for both fiction and nonfiction, for all ages. NoveList's expertise in books and reading means that you'll always get the best help for finding just the right books.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History
- International in scope and spanning all time periods of human history, The Oxford Encyclopedia of Economic History includes 900 original articles by noted scholars from more than thirty-five countries. With coverage ranging from accounting and advertising to zoning and zoos, this landmark works stands at the busy intersection of history and the social sciences.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America
- A collaboration of nearly 200 contributors from academia, industry, and the culinary world, the 700 original articles in The Encyclopedia cover the significant events, inventions, and social movements in American history that have affected the way Americans view, prepare, and consume food and drink.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Latinos and Latinas in the United States
- With an unprecedented scope and cutting-edge scholarship, the Encyclopedia draws together the diverse historical and contemporary experiences in the United States of Latinos and Latinas from Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Central America, South America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Over 900 A-to-Z articles written by academics, scholars, writers, artists, and journalists, address such broad topics as identity, art, politics, religion, education, health, and history.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Maritime History
- The Encyclopedia covers the entire history of seafaring, from ancient Egyptian shipbuilders to Viking sea-raiders, to the nuclear submarines and supertankers of today. Placing maritime affairs in their larger historical context, the Encyclopedia shows how seafaring has both reflected and influenced the major economic, cultural, military, and political developments in world history.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History, edited by Bonnie G. Smith, captures the experiences of women throughout history in a far-reaching, four-volume work. Although there has been extensive research on women in history by region, no other text or reference work has comprehensively covered the role women have played throughout world history. With over 650 biographies of influential women and over 600 topical articles covering topics such as geography and history, culture and society, organizations, movements, and gender studies, Women in World History is the definitive reference work in the field.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation
- The definitive source for information about the entire range of religious and social changes that altered the face of Europe in the sixteenth century, encompassing not only issues of church polity and theology but also developments in politics, economics, demographics, art and literature.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Theatre and Performance
- Provides authoritative and up-to-date information about theatre and performance from ancient Greek theatre to the latest developments in London, Paris, New York, and around the globe. In addition to performances in playhouses, it covers dance, opera, radio, film, television, and popular performance, including carnivals, circus, and public executions.
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online features essential language
resources never before available online - fully searchable, completely
comprehensive bilingual dictionaries, and unique study materials that
provide extra help with learning and using an expanding range of
languages. Offering over 4 million words, phrases and translations in
French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Chinese, OLDO also
features native speaker audio pronunciation - allowing you to hear how
words actually sound!
- Download digital audiobooks and eBooks.
- Reference USA
- The premier source of business and residential information for reference and research. Used by entrepreneurs, businesses, students, job-seekers or anyone wanting access to information on tens of millions of businesses and hundreds of millions of consumers in an easy to search format.
- Regional Business News (EBSCO)
- With daily updates, Regional Business News provides comprehensive full text for regional U.S. and Canadian business publications (including titles from Crain Communications). Regional Business News has full text for nearly 100 sources.
- Science Reference Center (EBSCO)
- Science Reference Center is a comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full-text science-oriented content.
- Small Engine Repair Reference Center
- Small Engine Repair Reference Center offers assistance in providing routine maintenance (tune-ups, brake service, etc.) as well as extensive repairs (engine and transmission disassembly) and allows users to search by product type, brand, model/engine type, specific area of model/engine type, and model numbers. PDF full text is available for all documents.
- Testing and Education Reference Center (Gale)
- This online education resource provides everything a student needs to learn more about further education and assists in making informed decisions on their future from one single, handy database. Testing & Education Reference Center also features interactive online practice tests for preparatory examinations including entrance exams and certification and licensing tests. Some of the standardized tests included are: AP exam, SAT, GRE, civil service exams for places of employment like the U.S. Post Office, NCLEX for nurses, real estate, military, PRAXIS for teachers, and GED. In addition to the standardized tests, this resource offers online information about private high schools, colleges and universities, graduate schools, and specialty schools.
- Virtual Reference Library (Gale)
- Gale Virtual Reference Library is a database of encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These reference materials once were accessible only in the library, but now you can access them online from the library or remotely 24/7.
[to the top]